Monday 6 August 2012

What Mr. Grey taught me......

So today, I read it - THAT book, the one that all the women (and some of the men) are reading. It isn't a work of literary genius, but a fun and cheeky read - but this isn't a book review. Believe it or not - I actually discovered something about myself.

The female character in the book Ana, is 21, gorgeous and has the perfect body - she becomes involved with a man who is besotted by her  (there is more, but this is really all that is relevant to me). The author used her internal monologue to set her up as a naive girl, whose brain is in constant overdrive, who is constantly doubting herself, who has very poor self esteem and most of all is a terrible communicator. She thinks things that she finds it impossible to say to this man. I got quite annoyed at this gorgeous woman, for constantly doubting his feelings for her - as these doubts and insecurities were born from her low self esteem. What right did this educated, beautiful THIN and perfect young lady have to feel bad about herself, why couldn't she open up to the man who loves her - to communicate instead of thinking one thing and saying another.  Then it hit me........

I was married (technically still am - separated 2  years) when I was very young. I was only 22, but I was in love with a good man, so I didn't care that we were kids. I held back the dark part of me, the part that wasn't happy, who had zero self esteem and thought she was no-one special, because if he saw the real me, he would leave. My beginning a relationship holding back forced me to hide things. I began a relationship thinking things about myself, but never saying them. I was this annoying girl in the book...... constantly doubting myself, wondering why he loved me, thinking one thing and saying another. It made me a terrible wife - and the longer we were together, the harder I found it to communicate my true feelings about anything. No matter how much two people care for each other, if they can't communicate within a marriage, there really isn't a marriage.

I have been incredibly depressed of late - wondering if I will ever have real love, and if I will ever be able to communicate openly and honestly in a relationship. I really don't think that I could love anyone who wanted the me I am right now - because I don't like me very much a lot of the time. I don't have any answers or ideas on how to help with this process, but I'm hoping I find them along the way while finding myself.

I am doing a lot of planning and thinking about my goals as part of the 12WBT, and one of the goals I have in my long term goals, is to be happy enough, and confident enough in myself to want someone to love me. Better still, I would LOVE myself! I'm hoping Mish and my new friends can help put me on the right track.

1 comment:

  1. I've just read the book for pure enjoyment, granted not literary genius at all. Although once I started on a 3 hour train trip, I'm sure I was blushing and kept glancing around to check who was looking at me and giving me nodding glances when seeing the cover! Interesting post. I can't say I've compared, but now that you have it out there I do think one of the greatest lessons we can learn and give our children by example is to love ourselves first and foremost, and the rest will fall into place (hopefully).

    You may not think this right now, but I do think you are setting yourself up for success with the program. Even just delving deep like this it's making you think. And that's what I've found this current round with the program, it's not just addressing food and exercise, but it's addressing mind too, our own mind being our greatest sabateurs (can't spell it, it's late, no spell check!).

    Really enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete