Monday 3 September 2012

Busy Busy Busy = Big Calorie Burns!

So I guess my busy, busy, busy story begins on Saturday. My first SSS (Super Saturday Session) of the 12WBT program, I had pre-arranged to meet up with a friend Leash to do a mini-dune challenge. She's off to do Hell Hill in Cronulla, and we thought this would be a fun warm up for that - so we'd decided to hit the beach in beautiful Lakes. As always, I was very early, and I knew she'd be a little late, so the family and I decided to do the cardio circuit near the footbridge. Then we saw the most beautiful little group of dolphins swim right by us only a few metres away, the kids excitedly ran to the footbridge to watch them pass underneath, then to their surprise and delight, another group came right behind them - 7 in total! We also saw some beautiful signets with Mamma and Daddy Swan. Good things happen when you get up early to train!!!

Leash and I had a great session, and we burned over 1000 cals! Then it was home to begin fencing.
Not the cool fencing that has swords and masks - the kind with post hole diggers, insulators and running wires through paddocks.

 Now despite living on a farm for 7 years, I'm relatively new to farm work, as until now, it's not really interested me, and the old lazy me was content to watch others do it. The new me decided she's up to learn something new, and to challenge herself with a big task. I decided to try to burn over 1000 cals a day fencing to see if I could!  I'm really pleased to say that this morning is my 4th consecutive day of fencing, and I've burned over 2000 each day so far, and in the first hour of work this morning, I'm up to 490 cals - this puts me on track for a big burn today. I've never worked so hard in my life, and I'm exhausted when my head hits the pillow at night, but I'm feeling an enormous sense of satisfaction at seeing the results of my labour.

I've been eating clean all week for my first week, and am proud of that, I must admit, because I'm so busy, I'm not finding time to get emotional and bored and eat for no good reason, so this being outdoors, working my ass off busy, kind of agrees with me. This morning, I did a bit of a cheeky, and weighed myself, expecting a big burn..... to see I've ONLY lost a kilo since last weigh in. I have to admit, I was GUTTED!!!!!! All that hard work for 1 stinky measly kilo.....

Now I have to say, back in the days when I did watch The Biggest Loser, I used to get so frustrated seeing people who would get disappointed at any loss, because it was a loss, so why were they whinging??? But I felt it, I felt such disappointment that my hard work hadn't paid off. What's the point of all the had work, if you don't have the numbers come off??

So this morning, bright and early at 7.45am, after dropping the kids to the bus I hit the paddocks again, a little more discouraged than yesterday, off to dig some post holes (with a manual post hole digger which is very labour intensive - getting about 170-180 HR from me) and think. It's a beautiful day here in the sun, and I have t admit, I'm actually enjoying the manual labour.  While working I realised, that the old me, the one who died a couple of weeks back allowing the new me to be born, would never be standing in a paddock at 7.45am, alone with her thoughts and a post hole digger. She'd still be in her pyjamas, on her 4th coffee, watching the morning show and trying to study.

I never started this program to crunch numbers, to compete for a title of best transformation or to care about weight loss. I did it because I want to feel good, be strong, be fit, be healthy, kick fibromyalgia's ass, and set an example to my children about a better way to live than we have. So I say, screw the numbers, screw my 1kg....screw cheeky weigh in's. I don't give a shit about the numbers, I'm not in any competition with anyone. I'm here to get strong, I'm here to be healthy, and these 4 days of fencing might not show on the scales, but they are showing on my face.

Last night at the dinner table, I caught sight of something (reflected in the window behind my daughters head) I haven't seen since I was about 17 year old - my jawbone! I Wasn't doing a photo pose thing to get it to protrude, I wasn't even looking for it, it was just there. I even caught a glimpse of cheekbone, and my collarbone is on show alongside some shoulder/chest muscles. So I don't give a shit about the numbers - and I'm thinking about finding the rest of the jaw, collarbone, clavicle and muscles that are developing under the fat - because when the fat goes, those muscles will look awesome!

Best of all, despite feeling sore and tired, I FEEL AWESOME!!

2 comments:

  1. And so you should feel awesome. You are doing this for all the right reasons. And you are doing it really smartly. I know what you mean about being frustrated about the numbers, heck I had a 100gram gain in the first week, it near on did my head in. But I'm looking forward to weighing in tomorrow, I hope you are too. I'll look forward to coming backand seeing how you went. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did ok last week Carol, 1.7kg. I took a sneaky peek at the scales, this week, 300g. Not bad after a few drinks this weekend. I'm determined not to get too invested in numbers if I'm feeling good - and I am. Don't stress about the gain, you've got plenty of time to lose it!

    ReplyDelete