Monday 30 December 2013

New Year New Me - 2014 is the year of my Happiness Project.

It's been forever since I've blogged. Today is New Year's Eve, tomorrow is a new year, a clean slate, the chance to start fresh. I know many people make resolutions, usually breaking them around Jan 2nd - but this is going to be different. I will make very few resolutions or statements about what I want to achieve this year - just a promise to myself to commit to a yearlong project and to be kind and forgiving to myself in the process, especially if I trip up along the way.

Ultimately, I will spend a year devoting time to my own happiness. I am not an unhappy person right  now, in fact, I'd consider myself a reasonably happy person. I lead a charmed life. I have a beautiful family. I live on a gorgeous farm. I enjoy the comfort of a warm bed at night and food in the fridge, and I enjoy a life lived simply. 

So why do I want to embark on a Happiness Project if I'm already happy? Because my life isn't always filled with happiness, and sometimes I'm dark and moody, and when I'm angry and cranky, my family usually bear the brunt of my moods. I also think I could be more appreciative of the life I lead and think that gratitude will lead me to be more happy. I want to focus on my relationships with loved ones, my health and energy, my organisation around the home and spending time with nature.  I'm currently re-reading the book The Happiness Project - by Gretchen Ruben after a friend bought it.  http://gretchenrubin.com. Each month I will have new action items, tasks and projects some from the book, some because I want to.

 For January, I plan to declutter my home, work on my energy levels and sleep better. I'll be using the book and internet to research ways to work on each task.  After a kitchen audit, I've also decided to do a weekly food challenge from  http://www.simplesavings.com.au, the $21 challenge. Essentially spending only $21 on groceries for the week and using what is currently in your kitchen. My weekly savings will help me fund a trip to Perth next month. 




One thing I have promised myself that I won't do is starve myself, follow a stupid meal plans, despise my body, work out 3 hours a day, eat low-fat, low-cal or chemical foods - over the last 2 years, I have done all of these things. NO MORE!!! I  am going to love my body, and treat it with respect, feeding it foods that will give me energy and vitality. I simply refuse to spend another day depriving myself in the name of vanity, or under the guise of health *read as skinny*. From here on, I'm going to stop hating my body - and be happy with it.

 To quote Tim Minchin....


This is my body

And I live in it
It's thirty-five and six months old
It's changed a lot since it was new
It's done stuff it wasn't built to do
I often try to fill it up with wine
And the weirdest thing about it is
I spend so much time hating it
But it never says a bad word about me
This is my body
And it's fine
It's where I spend a vast majority of my time
It's not perfect, but it's mine  



Time to be happy with me, inside and outside. Bring on 2014 and my happiness project.

So today I will spend the day reading and planning, and making the most of a day of relaxation. Tomorrow, my clean slate is looking full! Time to declutter, it's a big job, but I'm really looking forward to it. 

Happy New Year to you all, and I hope 2014 brings you your own happiness.

M x


7 comments:

  1. Ecstatic to read this blog Marney xxx
    Right rack, right attitude...
    So full of love for you right now my friend :]<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my gorgeous friend.
      I'm so sorry I missed you today.

      We shall drink coffee and chat soon. xx

      Delete
  2. I love your new focus! I think that the happiness project is one that will benefit everyone you love and care about. If your happy it's reflect positively on others, thus creating a cycle of happiness. I really look forward to reading your future blogs Marney. I might even have to grab a copy of that book, It sounds helpful.
    Happy new year xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lovely Lou,

      I really do hope that everyone I love is affected by a more happy version of me. The book is wonderful. I would lend you my hard copy, but I lost it in the clutter and had to buy it in digital format. I bought it from Google Books.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I just posted, I wonder if it disappeared or has gone to you for approval. Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, looks like it disappeared. I was just saying how good it is to see you blogging again. And what a worthy project, will make you grasp those special moments that make you happy and grateful, and it will almost pay it forward to those all around you. Looking forward to following along.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. So far, things are going well. I hope all is going great guns with you too! Be happy. x

      Delete