Wednesday 30 January 2013

Good friends and sunshine


After yesterday's upsetting realisation about my 'friend' - it didn't take me long to see that I don't need friends like that. I have real friends, friends who see the real me, and they love me for me - flaws and all.

Within minutes of reading my blog post, several wonderful friends messaged me to see if I was ok, to tell me that they see the real me, and that they like me! One friend made plans with me for a walk and some coffee in the sun. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement, as her youngest child started at high school today - a wonderful experience, but one that also breaks a Mum's heart just a little, as it's another reminder about how fast our children grow up.  My eldest started today also, seeing him in his grown up (slightly repressed private school) uniform made me shed a tear - but only one.

So our lovely walk in the sunshine served us both well, it reminded me that I have many wonderful friends, who take time to make me feel valuable, loved and appreciated, and hopefully I took her mind off her ever-so-slightly broken heart.

We stopped for a coffee along the way so I could check out a rather cute barista while I enjoyed my coffee - and we both indulged with a sweet treat.  I would have felt guilt at eating that a while ago, and spent the rest of the day berating myself for being 'weak' and succumbing to temptation. Today I didn't. We enjoyed our sweet treat and coffee, and continued along on our walk. I ended up burning over 440 cals on the walk, nothing more than a gentle stroll with a good conversation.

On the way home, I wondered why I didn't feel guilty about the rather large vanilla slice I ate - six months ago, it would send me into a guilty tailspin. So why not today? Then it dawned on me - I don't get upset about food anymore. Then I realised why - I know I can eat the occasional bad thing, because nowdays, it is occasional. I have added in so many great things, that I don't need to feel guilty about the occasional blow out. The film Hungry For Change, changed my life - but it is this line in particular, that resonated with me.






So it seems I am quite easily pleased - it doesn't take much for me to go from upset, to happy. A vanilla slice, cute barista, good friends and sunshine!

Have a fab day, and enjoy the sun. xx

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for helping take my mind off my day, and for partaking in a sweet treat with me.
    On the way home, I was thinking that 4 months ago if I thought about walking 5kms, I would have thought I was going die.... But how things have changed and it was just a lovely stroll on a beautiful sunny day with a friend and her daughter.. Oh and some good eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, we can't forget the eye candy - now he was a sweet treat!

      Delete